Wednesday, March 01, 2006

iPod or Id?

Sometimes I feel like Rivers Cuomo, because at any given time, the shuffle function on my iTunes/iPod will go from Brian Wilson to Bryan Adams to Ryan Adams, from Al Green to the Redwalls to the White Stripes to David Gray. Sometimes it goes well with dinner, music blaring from the computer, especially when it's the Wondermints or Candy Butchers or Bread or Sam Cooke.

But I like listening to my iTunes on shuffle, it helps to set and change the mood throughout the day. There are times when I feel like we're of the same mind... I've often thought, as I'm listening to iScream (iPod nomenclature) during the old days of the L commute downtown, how about some Captain and Tenille? And he'll oblige with "Love Will Keep Us Together." Or, "Born to Run" with Peter Buck from the "Vote for Change" tour? And that one, out of five live versions I have, whirrs into life.

So sometimes, I just have to wonder if the "top 25 most played" iTunes are any reflection of my current musical inclinations, or just mindless technology? I'm going to examine this list to determine if I've sold a piece of my soul to my iPod.

(Play counts current as of this posting, and based on songs added beginning in June 2005 and out of 910 current songs. Song playing while blogging: "Cellophane" by the Wondermints.)

1. "Float On" by Modest Modest (play count: 44)
Yes, this was possibly the single of 2004, the most well-produced track of the year. I like it a lot, love it when it comes on my "Beep Beep" playlist when running. But it's not on my top list "in real life."

2. "This is the Last Time" by Keane (play count: 39)
I think Keane's made it to this spot because of how often I listened to the "Hopes and Fears" album last year. I've weaned off of them by now.

3. "Everybody's Changing" by Keane (play count: 38)
Did I really listen to Keane that much?!

4. "Game of Love" by Santana featuring Michelle Branch (play count: 37)
Oh, I still do adore this song, mostly because it reminds me of Los Angeles, fall of 2002. I was there on a business trip with Moskal and Manrique, and we had crazy wild fun. I mean, imagine pulling up to the Chateau Marmont in a Ford Taurus.

("Kissing a Fool" by George Michael.)

5. "Sting O'Luv" by the Wondermints (play count: 37)
This is from their best album, in my opinion, "Bali." A great tune in the style of 1960s surfer mod, but how I feel about it doesn't really deserve a number 5 spot.

6. "More, More, More" by Andrea True Connection (play count: 35)
Eeeks, guilty. What an infectious disco ditty!

7. "Gene Autry" by Beulah (play count: 35)
My very first favourite Beulah song, and one of their very best. When I get to California, I'm gonna write my name in the sand.

8. "Bright Future in Sales" by Fountains of Wayne (play count: 35)
One of my all-time favourite FoW songs from my favourite album, "Welcome Interstate Managers." Another good running song.

9. "Never Know" by Jack Johnson (play count: 34)
This is the kind of song to fall asleep to on a beach in the North Shore of Oahu, a soft wave at your toes. Instead, I fell asleep to it basking in the sun on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. Close enough.

("Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by Frankie Valli)

10. "Me and Jesus Don't Talk Anymore" by Beulah (play count: 33)
I never used to like this song from Beulah's "Yoko" album, but now I do.

11. "Centerfield" by John Fogerty (play count: 33)
Oh, what a classic! I'll never forget John at the "Vote for Change" tour, playing this on a guitar shaped like a bat.

12. "Robinson Crusoe" by the Redwalls (play count: 33)
When I was nuts about local band the Redwalls last summer, I played this song incessantly. These days, their faux Manchester accent bugs me a little. Come on, you're from Northbrook, Illinois. Your families shop at Jewel-Osco.

13. "Landslide Baby" by Beulah (play count: 32)
I'm really pleased about the Beulah representation, but the rest of the my top four Bs (Bruce, Brian, Beasties) are a no-show!

("Could It Be I'm Falling in Love?" by The Spinners.)

14. "Please Forgive Me" by David Gray (play count: 32)
OK, David Gray, OK! You played two good shows in Chicago last year.

15. "Breakdown" by Jack Johnson (play count: 32)
My favourite song from last year's "In Between Dreams" album, it's for anyone who loves to hit the road.

16. "Bend and Break" by Keane (play count: 32)
This is getting embarrassing.

17. "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (play count: 32)'
I prefer "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," but Marvin and Tammi go as well as hot dogs and the Cubs.

18. "Liberty Belle" by Super Furry Animals (play count: 31)
I love the Furries, as does Kow. This is one of my favourites off of 2003's "Phantom Planet."

("Sail Away" by David Gray.)

19. "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC (play count: 30)
It puts a hop in my step when I'm running!

20. "Livin' Thing" by the Electric Light Orchestra (play count: 30)
So what if I like Jeff Lynne? He was a Travellin' Wilbury!

21. "Zoom" by Fat Larry's Band (play count: 30)
If you know this song, please let me know. It's a 1980s R&B classic, and I remember the video from an Adam Curry 1983 countdown of the best videos program.

22. "Freeze Frame" by J. Geils Band (play count: 30)
Any friend of Bruce's is a friend of mine -- Peter Wolf is always on stage with the Man when he hits Boston.

23. "Better Together" by Jack Johnson (play count: 30)
Another by-product of constant playing of a single album.

24. "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce featuring Jay-Z (play count: 29)
OK, I would love to be able to do that dance move in the video.

25. "September" by Earth Wind & Fire (play count: 29)
Brandhorst would be so proud!

("Time to Get Alone" by the Beach Boys.)

No comments: