Friday, June 30, 2006

Baseball daze

I haven't talked about the Cubs in a while, but that's because they stopped being funny about a month-and-a-half ago. I also haven't been to the ballpark in about two months, mainly because I was home for three weeks, mostly because it's much cheaper to eat a hot dog and cheese fries in the sunshine at the Weiner's Circle than the ballpark, since there's not much else to do when there.

In any case, it's funny what some sunshine can do to you, because biking home from the gym this morning, I forgot about my anger at our stupid team, I forgot my rants about how many wins being the second highest paid team in the National League can bring, and I forgot that I say, walking home from yet another lost cause, I'm never going to a game again this year. I passed by good buddies walking to the ballpark, some dressed in Cubs garb, some dressed in Sox bollocks, all geared up for a party at the crosstown sequel. And I thought to myself, this is what's great about baseball, despite the home plate brawls and stupid fans. Long-distance friendship that lasts the length of the Addison and 31st Red Line L stops.

Luckily for me, but unfortunately for us, all of my good friends are Cubs fans. So when the Pucketts and I settled into outfield box seats yesterday for what we hoped to be a series-evening game with the Brew Crew, we thought that the Cubs would be kind enough to bestow a nice anniversary gift for Ryan and Joanne. However, leaving runners in scoring position on base in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings was very inconsiderate, but at least Joanne got a good look at Todd Walker from behind from our excellent seats. Being next to the Brewers' bullpen, I kept yelling out to Danny Kolb, but he ignored me, and I wanted to tell Derrick Turnbow to cut his hair.


Chicago Cubs vs. Milwaukee Brewers, June 29, 2006. Section 38, Row 5, Seat 7. $54.00. Cubs 4 Brewers 5.

No comments: