Monday, September 25, 2006

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

When Hurricane Katrina hit last year, when the tsunami hit the year before, when the planes hit the World Trade Center five years ago (and the list can go on), many things began to seem more inconsequential than they were.

The Hollywood Hot Dogs so far are 2-0 on the season, surprisingly because their owner and coach -- me -- knows nothing about football. I missed the draft, somehow ended up with Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck, and won my first two games easily. As I watched the Bears sneak by the Vikings for their 3-0 win on Sunday, I posted some smack on my fantasy football league message board: "Watch my team go 3-0 after tonight, just like DA BEARS."

Who am I kidding, really... I don't even really like football that much. I've been watching it because it seems like a local team I can like is on to something, and Dodgers baseball isn't on TV here everyday. So I checked the Dogs' box score after yesterday, and saw that we were leading Concussed Confusion by nine points... although Confusion has two players going tonight, Devery Henderson and John Carney of the Saints.

The significance of tonight's Monday Night Football match-up isn't lost. It's the first time the New Orleans Saints are playing at home at the Superdome in over a year, and even if the devastation still called the Lower Ninth Ward home and the musicians didn't, football was back. Previously sunken in the depths of divisional hell, the Saints are 2-0 on the season and give the Crescent City some sort of hope. At least someone was winning. At least someone was getting somewhere. Moving forward on the football yardage was far better than the sinking feeling of knowing levee reconstruction was backward as ever.

So when Maria text'd me at halftime that Carney had 10 points and Henderson eight already, I thought, what the hell. It's only the Hollywood Hot Dogs. They'll survive a grilling and bad ketchup. The great people of New Orleans though, one of my favourite cities in America, should have and deserve their joie de vivre (Maria's phrase, no pillaging). So, good thing Michael Vick maybe had one too many bowls of gumbo pre-game, because tonight, the Saints go marching in.

No comments: